Monday, March 23, 2009

Vacation Report Day Two : Beach, Beach and more Beach!





So our first real day started nice and easy. Kristin had already been training to run in the 8 Tough Miles race on neighboring St. John. She had to leave at 6:00 AM (That's 3:00 our time...) As much as we wanted to, we knew that we'd be a little worn out from the flights the day before and opted to sleep in a little. So we got up at 8:00, and were finally bright eyed and bushy tailed when she came in at 10:30. We packed to BBQ on the beach and left for the first beach.


Sapphire Beach was where we went snorkeling. Can I just say that if I had access to it, I'd lose a ton of weight like that, because I LOVE SNORKELING! That was the most exciting thing EVER! It took a little while to get my bearings, breathing through the tube and all, but once we got it we had a blast. We saw all sorts of things. Jeannette saw a cuttlefish, we all saw parrotfish and a butterfly fish. All sorts of fun stuff. Kristin thought we might take a shortcut back to the beach. "I'm pretty sure those rocks and stuff end so that we can go in." So we started back. I remember thinking, "I know that this mask makes things look a little closer, but those urchins look like I'm about to kick them... We're not supposed to touch the coral, but it seeems much closer than before... I think I just kicked something... My belly's getting awfully close... where did everyone else go..." By this time I was just barely keeping the panic down and trying to breathe the right way. Then I hear Jeannette yell, "Kristin! Help!" I look up and see that we're swimming in about 6 inches of water and there are sea urchins everywhere! Julie and I start laughing then as we realize that everyone on shore must think that we're total idiot tourists, and Kristin helps us make it out of the water without stepping on anything pokie. We had a good laugh about it that night.

After snorkeling, we went to Smith Bay Beach (formerly known as and still referred to by us as Lindquist Beach) for a BBQ. We just generally goofed around and hung out and played in the sand afterwards, including turning Julie into a Little Mermaid. After playing, we went over to Megen's Bay, which is the most popular and busiest beach, although we were there at the end of the day, so it wasn't so crowded. That's where we saw a stingray in the water, about 5 feet from the water's edge. It's also where we met some interesting locals about to have a fish fry. They teased us about asking if all their fish were real - to a bunch of AZ gals seeing a 25 gallon cooler full of silvery fish, we naievely asked if they were...:) Oh, and we also saw a mongoose, but he was quicker than my camera.

Dinner was at a nice place on the beach also, a part of one of the hotels next to the airport. There was excellent seafood and tiki torches - as well as a cat roaming around being friendly! Then back to Kristin's for bed and up early the next morning for church. Stay tuned for Vacation Report Day Three: Church and Downtown!

2 comments:

Mela said...

That sounds like a lot of fun!

meghannamarie said...

I still am sad I didn't get to go but being stung by anything or poked by anything would have really scared me!You know that is how Steve Irwin died...by a sting ray...scary!